Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Great North Run

After getting frustrated with my complete lack of self control when it comes to chocolate and biscuits, I decided to start jogging a few months ago. This is a miraculous feat considering I once ran across the street before collapsing and crawling home for a nap. For once in my life I'm motivated to take myself out for some exercise. I'm loving the fresh air and freedom to run all over Newcastle - from Leazes Park to Exhibition Park, across the Town Moor, or to Ouseburn and up into Jesmond Dene. Obviously I'm not running the whole way - there's a fair bit of walking in there too, but I'm working on it.

Seeing me all motivated has sparked off Kiwi too. He started jogging with me, then got a bit carried away and signed himself up for the Great North Run. He's got to raise £250 for it too - if that's not motivation for sticking to a new running regime, I don't know what is. I think he's insane, but I'm really proud of him too and together we've started the BUPA training programme - which prepares you to run a half marathon in 12 weeks. If I surprise myself with my abilities, I might even try to find a spare GNR entry and run it myself.

And I have been surprising myself. Today, Kiwi and I did the furthest run we've managed, all in one go - no stops, and neither of us died. We have to run 3 miles on Sunday. In 10 weeks time we'll have to run 10 miles. We've got a long way to go, but I have faith we can do it! Thinking of me toned up in a bikini in New Zealand is the incentive, and for once I am going to stick to something I'm trying to achieve.

No comments: