Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Green Festival

The Green Festival took place in Leazes Park over the weekend. I took a little look around on Saturday, it was all very family friendly with market stalls selling handmade, hand woven, hand stitched, generally all-round hands on clothing, jewellery and accessories. Food stalls were organic, locally sourced, dolphin friendly, non GM modified, no air miles and freshly picked or ground 5 minutes before sale. There were tents and stalls dedicated to people fighting causes internationally, all doing their part to save the world (and making me feel guilty as I skulked past without signing any of the numerous petitions). If I'd wanted to ease my karma from the stresses of this guilt there was a 'healing area' complete with yoga mats...

... You get the picture, if it was tie-dyed, it was on sale; if it did the tie-dying by hand in Peru at the age of 5 unpaid, it had a petition form; if it involved sun salutations or downward dogging, it was an available activity throughout the day. For the sake of getting Kiwi out in the heat wave on Sunday, I took him along with me and was in for a surprise, as although all aforementioned aspects of the festival had carried through to the second day, instead of families flitting about lazily, the entire park was inundated with thousands on thousands of people. There was a music stage (solar or wind powered or similar I think - or perhaps they had a man on a bicycle), plus circus entertainers, steel drummers, and more importantly beer was flowing. The people were pretty colourful - goths, emos, hippies - all the stereotypes were present. Festivals are the kind of place where they're at their most beautiful, from make up to clothing, tattoos and piercings; they take the opportunity to completely immerse themselves in the atmosphere which in turn wouldn't be the same without them.

Unfortunately the atmosphere was short-lived for me and Kiwi as we both had work to do, and I'm gutted I didn't get to chillax in the sunshine with some organic ale and a group of friends. Would like to say maybe next year, but I'll be down-under, and it'll be mid winter. *Sigh*.

No comments: