Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mayonnaise for Gays

You could be forgiven for thinking that I am campaigning for gay rights after my last post (see Big Brother, June 2007), but yesterday my housemate drew to my attention the current media news about Heinz's withdrawal of an apparently offensive advert:

"Heinz has withdrawn its Deli Mayo TV ad that featured two men sharing a kiss and apologised to viewers after the advertising regulator received about 200 complaints that it was offensive and inappropriate." View the full article (and advert) here.

I'm astounded that Heinz didn't think that rather more than 200 people - i.e. the gay population, and basically anyone with an open mind and creative intelligence, would be either be offended or bemused by the withdrawal of the advert, and instead decided the minority rules. My housemate started a Facebook group - quite rightly, because Facebook has pretty much taken over the world and I truly believe it is a powerful tool to turn things around. If you're interested, join it here.

So, I thought - since I usually stay politely quiet about most things, I never like to get involved in politics, I usually come out feeling sheepish because I'm basically shite at arguing - anyway, I thought I'd do my bit to fight the cause too. Well, less fight the cause and more offer a tongue-in-cheek 'telling off'... I wrote Heinz an e-mail (forgive grammatical errors, it was an incensed email of quiet passion and I had no time for accuracy):

I just wanted to let you know I am troubled by the withdrawal of your advert.

The 200+ complaints received about the advert would pale in comparison to the number of people who, a) are offended by staunch bigots stamping their feet about 1950's 'values' or, b) don't care about the apparent homosexual connotations of the ad and actually appreciate having a decent, funny ad on TV, instead of crap like Barry screaming about his Cillit Bang.

Heinz stands for variety, doesn't it? "Heinz 57..." and all that jazz. So, celebrate the variety the advert offers - be it variety in sexuality or mayonnaise. Grow some balls and reinstate the advert. Don't let some old, grey, right wing, misrepresentation of our modern, cosmopolitan society, dictate what goes on our television screens. I find it hard to comprehend their ignorance, let alone Heinz's compliancy in their anti-gay tirade.

I will keep you posted if I receive a reply.

3 comments:

Steve Jackson said...

Nice post. Though it does occur to me, that Heinz did the ad knowing the reaction it would provoke.

Now they're enjoying the extra publicity. The Bennetton effect, if you like.

Blue River said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Southern Fairy said...

Aaah, posting under the wrong account. Anyhoo, try again... Thanks for the comment ourman, it wouldn't surprise me, but why go with the bigots, why not react to the complaints by adding in a good groping session between the two blokes as well... i'd be delighted, and I'm sure it would instigate just as much publicity...