Saturday, July 19, 2008

Save it for a rainy day...

...I've been saving the post which talks about me, myself and I for a rainy day - an answer to the question "who is this girl who writes random posts about nothing imparticular?" Today is that day and I'm beginning to wish I had some Jeremy Kyle-esque life story to enthrall you with - you know the sort; "my father's my mother, my brother's my husband, I had the first of my ten kids at the age of nine and I'm only 24." If you're after something ground-breaking, you may as well go and buy yourself a copy of Pick Me Up, cause you're more likely to find it in there.

One thing is true, I am 24. I have no children that I am aware of - in fact I'm certain I don't, as after Ms Claire Voyant predicted a sprog (see Mystic Maybes, July 2008), I took a pregnancy test just to see if she knew something I didn't - she was thankfully wrong. My life, in short involves growing up in Harpenden, Hertfordshire with my mum, dad and brother. Fast forward to 19 years old when I moved to Newcastle upon Tyne to do an English Literature degree at Newcastle University, and hence that is where I have stayed, five years on. To keep myself in trashy magazines, peanut butter, Kaffecino's muffins and impulse eBay buys (my vices in no particular order), I am a Copywriter. I wasn't given that job title, I kind of took it upon myself to start calling myself one. But that is what I do, I began my current job in new business and have ended up copywriting out of circumstance, so I started to use the title in my email signatures, and that, to me, makes it official...

If you have read the rest of my blog, you will be aware I have a Kiwi as my other half. We live together with another couple (James and Conor, who I have also mentioned) in a lovely house in Elswick (and yes, Elswick and 'lovely house' do go in the same sentence). Kiwi and I are emigrating to New Zealand in January - well, I am emigrating, he's just returning home. The plan from then on is to freelance as a Copywriter and try to make a living whilst travelling as much as possible. It's my dream to write from exotic and foreign surroundings, and as I'm jacking in my job to move downunder anyway, it's definitely the right time just to go for it and try to make that dream come true. I'm hoping to work with companies remotely; more specifically earning the pound whilst spending NZ or Aus dollars, or whatever currency from the country I happen to be in - be it Thailand, India or Canada (just a few examples of my top destinations list).

Saying that, I am unsure that there's anywhere in the world that I will love as much as Newcastle, and it'll be an emotional goodbye when we come to leave at the end of December. More to the point, I'll miss my friends, family, my job, the people I work with - I can't imagine feeling as comfortable and homely at work anywhere else. It's the unknown that gets to me - the prospect of becoming unemployed, even if it is by choice, and how successfully I will be able to set up alone. And yes, I'm aware I should just shut up about my 'woes' because really I'm amazingly lucky and nothing else matters, what will be will be.

It's still six months away, so for now I'm in limbo between starting to wind things down here, and prepare for the move. I'm sure this blog will become increasingly more about our preparations nearer to the time. Our holiday to Ibiza in September will mark the end of an era here, and the beginning of another, as on our return I will be handing in my notice at work, and beginning the process of arranging to have my life packed into boxes and shipped overseas; closing bank accounts; redirecting mail; spending quality time with the people I love. There will be tears and probably tantrums, but my Kiwi is my rock and I know he'll make sure it's an easy transition physically - even if mentally I might fall apart just a little. On that note, I'm feeling a little weepy - I really need to get a grip.

No comments: